Fitness has taken many forms. Flying or the feeling of flight may be one of them. Aerial yoga has come a long way since it was conceptualized in 1991. It started as a form of exercise for retired gymnasts and is now a popular workout. It is also known as antigravity yoga, aerial fitness, and aerial hammock and comes with slings, stands, hooks, and rigs.
Its increasing popularity has also paved the way for the yoga trapeze stand that finally allows you to create an aerial yoga setup in the comforts of your own home. And as the foundation for your aerial exercise, choosing the right yoga trapeze stand is essential for your safety.
8 Things To Consider When Choosing A Yoga Trapeze Stand
The right “frame” of mind is essential in your yoga practice, the same way the right foundational “frame” is in your aerial fitness experience. A yoga trapeze stand is in itself the very foundation of your workout. Here are a few things to consider when choosing a yoga trapeze stand.
1. Indoors vs. Outdoors
It’s crucial to have enough space when setting up your trapeze. If you’re not planning to workout outside, make sure your ceiling can accommodate the equipment. These are some things to note:
- The recommended ceiling height for setting up a trapeze is about 9 feet. This is a stretch and is a comfortable estimate for 6ft practitioners, but it is recommended universally.
- 9 feet is also the recommended space you should have around you. This means you have 4.5 feet of space to your front and back to practice splits and other stretches without worry.
NOTE: You can make the space work as long as you pay close attention to your height.
Also Read: 7 Yoga Poses for Building Muscle
You can never be too careful when you’re choosing equipment that’s designed to hold your entire weight. Here are some specifics to look out for:
- Sturdy – Some yoga trapeze stands double as pull-up bars for calisthenics sessions. A high-quality stand can also be set up well on a level and uneven surfaces while holding at least 200kg of weight.
- Low vibration – Although you may still feel a slight wobble, the right yoga trapeze stand should be able to keep it at a minimum so you stay comfortable.
- Force-bearing capacity – You’ll be exerting a lot of force on your stand, so make sure it can withstand well.
- Material – Yoga trapeze stands can be made of a rock-solid aluminum alloy material or high-strength alloy steel.
TIP: Choose a yoga trapeze to stand like you would a pull-up bar.
3. Portability and Convenience
If you prefer a fixed setup at home, then portability may not be an issue. But for people who need to relocate it every once in a while, outdoors or indoors, or from one space to another, the convenience of portability is something to consider.
- Foldable – Some yoga trapeze stands are foldable so that you can set them aside after every session.
- Weight – Some trapeze stands are heavier than others. It’s important to choose one that suits your needs.
- Removable accessories – It’s crucial to remove accessories with ease if you plan on moving often or tidying up after a workout.
Yoga trapeze stands can be multi-purpose workout tools. Using it for calisthenics and other strength exercises are excellent ways to diversify your workout routine. This way, you can also share the device with your loved ones. Here are some ideas:
- Olympic rings
- Heavy bag or punching bag
- TRX straps
- Play tents
5. Store vs. Custom Made
You can source yoga trapeze stands in several places around the world. Some notable brands come from Brazil and Indonesia, but you can always have one custom-made for you. Although it may cost more and may take time, some people prefer this for ease of mind.
TIP: Scrutinize the reviews of other people when buying a ready-made yoga trapeze stand.
6. Adjustable vs. Non-adjustable
Some trapeze stands are adjustable, and some aren’t. The non-adjustable stands are best for stationary setups where they have a permanent space. Some stands are adjustable to help with portability, making them ideal for travelers and other people who need to set their workout equipment aside for the sake of space.
The right accessories are as important as the trapeze stand. Make sure you have high-quality bolts, hooks, rigs, and other equipment, so you avoid any accidents.
Some brands have these ready with the purchased trapeze, while others can be purchased separately. We recommend that you seek professional help when choosing accessories for your trapeze stand.
Although price is important, it should not be a deciding factor. A yoga trapeze stand is an essential part of your yoga practice, and we recommend that you first consider your safety, comfort, and maximum enjoyment before anything else.
Also Read: Rejuvenate Body And Soul: Village Retreat Programmes
Although the idea of dancing and stretching in mid-air is magical, it’s crucial to be safe. And safety starts in choosing the right materials for a yoga trapeze stand, especially its foundation. Always remember that to be successful in any stunts, you must always put safety first.